For us adults, the word "holidays" rhymes with rest and free time. Baby version, this same word is defined as: free time to make new acquisitions. Many toddlers take the opportunity to decide to walk, become clean, increase their vocabulary stock or gain autonomy.
Dad and mom just for him!
- During the holidays, you are more available, more attentive. And your toddler takes full advantage of it. "To progress, a child needs regular solicitations, to be able to observe in the moment the reactions of his parents to his behaviors to possibly modify them, to feel their desire to see him grow up, explains Anne Bacus, psychologist. that only a continuous and attentive presence can allow. "There, attention, you generally have to resell. The proof: the number of photos featuring your child, the hero of your holidays! So looked and admired, center of all your interests, he has only one desire: to make progress to satisfy you.
Novelty, the best stimulation
- At the seaside, in the mountains or in the countryside, your child discovers new or unfamiliar worlds, eager to indulge his appetites as a young explorer. "On these areas of exploration that his parents make him discover, a child will experience a host of motor and sensory experiences which he derives a great benefit because before 5 or 6 years, we learn primarily by the body", notes Anne Bacus.
- Just leaving the house for a new destination and changing the pace of life alone is a source of progress. "The routine slows down the psychic development, whereas the novelty stimulates it", affirms Frederic Kochman, child psychiatrist. "By going every day to the same kindergarten or school, seeing the same nursery teacher or the same teacher every day, playing with the same games at home, there is a kind of decline in desire. When he arrives in a new place, he puts himself on the contrary in a reopening attitude with all his senses on the lookout, desire to observe and discover new things, "continues the child psychiatrist.
- The novelty is not only titillating the curiosity of your baby, it also forces him to demonstrate its adaptability. Example: at home, there may be a barrier to prevent falls on the stairs, but not in the rental house! It is up to you to explain to your little one that he must be particularly careful, to change his habits and to be more autonomous and responsible. This is an excellent opportunity to grow.
Emotions that develop intellectual abilities
- More time for cuddling with mom and dad or papi and granny, meetings with cousins or beach friends, emotions in front of a little calf during a visit to the farm, a little fright because of an insect: vacations see the emotions bloom. And that's good ! "They play a fundamental role in learning, in a period when we live many emotions, one multiplies by ten his intellectual capacities and his ability to memorize, one accelerates his psychic development." The holidays, very emotional moment, are therefore particularly conducive to progress of all kinds, "says Frederic Kochman.
Isabelle Gravillon, with the collaboration of Anne Bacus, psychologist, and Frédéric Kochman, child psychiatrist.